Monday, February 18, 2008

Chapter 2

Chapter 2:

I looked at baby blue eyes, which were way lighter then mine, and I shivered again inside but he was a big threat. If he finds out that I was the vampire last night, it would spread around the school and the other vampires might find out and all the clans of the vampires of who I had slain (trust me, I have slain a lot) will go after me. So not only will I have a bad reputation, I would be chased by vampires all over the world, too.

What a threat.

I shook my head and went on my way.

“Hey, wait a second.” He said and I froze. Oh my bat, I think he knows! I slowly turned around, trying to put the most neutral expression I could master on my face.
“Have we met before? You look…familiar.” He told me.
“No, we haven’t met before” I said.
He looked a few more seconds trying to figure out where he had seen me and I laughed inside. No matter how long he stares at me, he couldn’t figure it out. He shook his head.

“Never mind, I might’ve mistaken you for someone else” he said and I nodded and started to walk back to my classroom.
“Hey, Can I know your name?” he called out to me.
“Violet!” I told him.
“I’m William.” He said and I smiled. Maybe he wasn’t that bad but I needed to be careful around him.

When I reached the class, I took my seat, which was right at the back of the classroom and started to study while the teacher wasn’t there yet.
“Hey, Violet!” I heard someone say and I looked up to find myself staring at 2 faces. The only friendly people in the whole school.
Best friends, Cornelia Redwood and James Yin. James was half Chinese but he looks a lot like his mother who was British. Cornelia (known as Lila) is a cheerleader and James is a jock and they had been the only people talking to me ever since I moved to their school since 2 years ago. Maybe you could call them friends but I don’t really tell them all about me.
“Stop being such a mega bookworm.” James said and Lila rolled her eyes. He was also a bookworm at home behind all his football and swimming training.

“Hey I like to study.” I said to them. Lila flipped her copper-red hair behind her and sat on my desk.
“Do you know that if you study like, for a lot of times, you will go bonkers?” she said with a smile.
I smiled back.
“Hey, Violet, why don’t you stop by my Cheering event later?” Lila said. Lila memorized my schedule so she knew when I was free or not so she could pull me to all her practices and I couldn’t make an excuse. I shrugged.

“No, Vi went to your practice last week. She’s going to come to my swimming practice this week.” James said.
“Well, duh, the cheerleaders will be cheering there so can attend both events at one time!” Lila pointed out. If you asked me, these two are a match but sadly, they don’t have that kind of interest and Lila already has a boyfriend.
They looked at me.
“I…uh…Oh okay then.” I sighed. They gave each other high-fives and then the teacher arrived so they sat to where they seated.

I listened absently to the teacher as I thought about William. I couldn’t understand why I couldn’t take him out of my mind. I mean, it’s not possible. I shook the thought away and returned to my work.
When lunch came I sat alone in the classroom, since everyone else eats in the cafeteria, taking my vial (I avoided the anti-vampirism) first before my lunch. (I have to take them three times a day) Just as I was about to eat my sandwich, my two ‘friends’ Lila and James came in and dragged me out the classroom.
“You should eat with us! It’s been two years and you are still shy?” Lila exclaimed, her hand hooked around my left while James has my right and he’s holding my lunch in his other hand. “Come on Violet, we’re you’re friends! You can trust us!”
“Yeah!” James said as they dragged me around the corner towards the Cafeteria. I wasn’t comfortable hanging around cheerleaders and jocks so I told them this.
“Nonsense. We have our own table.” Lila said. We entered the cafeteria where the air was filled with excitement and fun and everyone was chatting. The teachers were on a long side table and laughing as well. One big family.
There was a small table in the center and we sat down there. James took his homemade lunch out while Lila went to order.
“Man, I hate having homemade lunch but my mom insists on having ‘safe’ food” he said, doing quotation marks with his fingers as he emphasized safe.
“Well, your homemade lunch are delicious anyway.” I pointed out, starting on my sandwich. James shrugged and ate his lunch. Lila came back with pizza, salad and yogurt with mineral water on her tray. The healthiest girl I have met.
“Hey, check this news out!” she said. “There’s a new student in school!”

I knew she was talking about William but I didn’t say that I knew him.
“His name is William and he’s a total hottie.” She said. James rolled his dark eyes.
“Girl talk.” He muttered, digging on his lunch. I smiled, silently agreeing with Lila.

“Well at least I have news.” Lila said, flipping her hair back again and picked up her pizza. I had finished my sandwich long ago and I was just drinking.
“I have news for you.” James said, trying to defend his pride. “It’s rumored that he’s a vampire slayer. He’s obsessed with finding vampires and killing them”

“That increases his hottie points.” Lila pointed out. Typical Lila.

“I think I have to go,” I said.

Before Lila could protest, a guy with spiked black hair and caramel eyes approached us with a smile. It was Rave Tyler, Lila’s boyfriend.
“Hey guys, mind if I crash in?” he asked. James nodded, giving him a high five. Lila gave him a quick peck on the cheek as he sat down and I felt a small pang of jealousy. At least they don’t have anything to hide and they forget all the troubles in the world. Unlike me, with a secret that I have to hide so deeply from everyone that I love.
“ Ah, Violet’s here.” Rave said, looking at me. “What took you so long join us?”
I shrugged with a smile.
“She didn’t join us.” Lila told him. “We forced her to. She’s just too shy.”
“Well, at least we’re complete eh?” he said, wrapping around an arm around Lila.
“As I was saying, I have to go now. I really have a lot of things to take care of.” I said, standing up.
“Aw, so soon?” James said. I nodded.
“I gotta work on our Science project remember?” I told him as a matter-of-factly.
So I apologized and said goodbye and went on my way to the library. I took out the metal chain necklace and looked at it to see which clan it was. The pendant had a bat with an open mouth and large fangs.

The Fanged Clan.

I searched it on the web and reached a site that introduces them. The fanged clan goes way back to the 18th century. They are typical vampires who hunt for humans and won’t care about lying low. They are from the north and they have killed around 8,000 and turn 4,000 in a year. I raised my eyebrows. 8,000? Normal clans only kill 5,000 and turn 1,000. This clan was a strong one and I’m determined to stop them. I saw William enter the library and crossed out the site and stuffed the necklace back into my jean pocket. I stood up and went into the Arts section, which was way at the back of the Library and pretended to be busy in a book.

He couldn’t see me and he sat down on to one of the computers and started to type something in. I adjusted my vampire vision and looked at what he was searching on. He had typed in something, the page refreshed and I found myself staring at bold letters,
”Sacred Soul Slayers”

A slayer’s site and it might be his group too.

I returned to my normal vision because if I use the vampire vision, my eyes turn to steely grey and someone might see it as suspicious.

I put my book down and left the library before he could see me.

After school that day, I made my way to the school swimming pool and sat on one of the stands, watching Lila cheer with her team and James, as he walked out from the changing room in his trunks and did a warm up. I looked at all the members and noticed that one of them, with a black swimming trunk and black goggles, I didn’t know. Then, he looked right at me and there came the shivers again. He lifted his goggles and I saw that it was William. He gave a little wave and I waved back then looked away pretending to be busy watching Lila. What was he doing here?

When they got ready, James stood on the stands and prepared to jump in and when the whistle sounded, they jumped in and I watched as James swam in full speed but my eyes averted from him and I looked at William instead. William was faster and I couldn’t believe it either. It was as if he had fins and webbed feet. He was so fast. I noticed the slayer mark at his back, below the right shoulder. He was the winner for that race and I stood up. I had to go so I waved to Lila and James and went on my way. Anything to avoid William, I will do it.

It was already 6 when I got home and I went straight to my room. As I was finishing my report on Venus flytraps, I heard a knock on my door and I shouted, “Come in”
Professor Terrison came in and I smiled.
“Hi Prof!” I said. He raised his eyebrows at the mark on my neck.
“So, you’ve been out last night.” He commented, sitting on my bed. I smiled sheepishly and retold him the whole story of last night’s event.
He nodded and looked thoughtful after I had finished.
“I see. The SSS moved here yesterday. I think they followed the vampire clan that moved here from the north. I believe those two boys were from the SSS.” He said.

I showed him the necklace and he nodded.
“Yes, this is the clan.” He said.
“So how am I supposed to find them?” I asked.
“Elizabeth, promise me that you wont go hunting for them. I allow you to hunt vampires, yes but this is an exception. This clan is not just a clan, Elizabeth. They not only kill humans but also fellow vampires and once they find out that you have killed one of their members, they will go looking for you. It won’t be a while now that they will wonder where the vampire you killed is.” He told me sternly. My shoulders slumped as I looked at him with a pleading face for him to allow me to go hunting for them.

“Don’t look at me like that,” he said. I hardened my expression and he sighed.
“Okay, you can go searching for them but once you find them, that’s it. Leave the work to be done by the vampire slayers.” He said.
I hugged him.
“Thank you professor!” I said.
“Elizabeth, I’m warning you. They are dangerous. I’m not speaking only as your professor but as your father.”

I nodded.
“I know, Father.” I told him. He nodded and gave me a pat on the head, his only show of affection ever since he adopted me.
“Dinner at 7.” He said. I nodded and he left the room. I jumped up and prepared a few things for my walk that night then I went down for dinner.
After dinner, I excused myself to have a walk in the park. Professor looked at me, giving me the ‘remember-what-I-told-you” look. I nodded and went back up to change my clothes, something to cover me and a scarf to hide myself. As I went out, the cold evening air greeted me and there were a few people walking on the street and I took my bag and sat down pretending to take a small rest.

After an hour, people started to decrease and I started my hunt. I took out notes on where they like to make their nest and I made a conclusion that maybe they were at the cemetery. If not, an underground tomb.

I made my way to the cemetery, which was now closed and climbed the gate.
The cemetery was at its usual quietness and I walked around the tombstones, sniffing for scent of a vampire. I could smell a faint trace of it and I realized with a huge disappointment that not the whole clan was here. I took out a rapier, an ancient sword which professor got from a museum that had closed down years ago. It had a nicely engraved handle with a tourmaline stone in the core and it still effective in killing vampires. As long as you clean it every time you slay vampires.

I walked into an old crypt; it was in the end of the cemetery and the death of the people there dated back to the year 1700s. I took my torch out and shone it around the crypt. It was dusty and filled with cobwebs and spiders crawling around. Not to mention, a lot of dead people.

I walked through the strong staircase that led to the main part of the crypt and I heard voices deep inside. Then I heard another voices, coming from somewhere and a lot of footsteps. People.

The slayers.

They had taken another entrance towards the crypt and were trying to push back a rusty metal gate. It managed to open with a creak and they started to come in. I switched of my torch and stood there in the darkness, watching them. There were at least 12 people, including brave William and his brother, Rob.


“Alright you lot,” a guy, who looked old enough to be my grandfather, told them in a hushed whisper. I heard the other vampires become quiet. They had heard them when the gate creaked and they knew. They knew someone had come for them and they were ready. I needed to help them just not right now.
“Remember, never underestimate a vampire. You,” he pointed to a guy in the front. “Keep a lookout. If you hear us scream, go for help. The rest come with me and remember, not a sound!”
They nodded solemnly, ready with their stake and garlic. I rolled my eyes. They are so old fashioned that they still used stakes when they can use swords and knives.

“Ready? On three.” The old guy, who seemed to be their leader, said. He counted to three and they rushed inside and there was a sound of huge hissing and that’s when the screaming began. I quickly turned into my vampire form and wore a cloak that could hide my whole body and face only letting them see my steely grey eyes.
I saw a huge scene of human vs. vampire whereas I belonged to neither group but I prefer to take sides with humans.

I looked to see that they had the vampires under control and I took a quick scan around the room and I realized that they weren’t all fighting. In the shadows, I could see another vampire standing in the shadows and none of the slayers could see him. They were too busy fighting with their vampire enemy. He was looking at the leader and I knew from his face that he was annoyed. He walked silently in the shadows towards the leader and I followed him, walking from the opposite direction.

Could these vampires be anymore stupid? They can smell (and perhaps see) that another vampire had entered their territory and they didn’t care.

“Hey.” I said and the vampire that was stalking towards the Slayer leader stopped. The slayer slain the vampire he was fighting with and it turned into dust. Then the Slayer looked at me in confusion.

“Who are you?” The vampire hissed, glaring at me. “This is our territory!”
“Seriously, you call this a house?” I scoffed.

Rob was the first to recognise me.
“Eliza!” he shouted and the vampires stopped and sniffed at me and looked at each other.
“Do you know who I am, girl?” the vampire said, walking towards me. “I am Dae, the leader of the Fangs Clan. I am one of the most powerful vampires in the world? Do you not fear me?”
“Fear is not in my vocabulary…sorry.” I said and I took out the rapier.
“You are one on the side of the slayers but you are not human.” Dae said, confused and angry that he had another enemy to deal with.
“That’s because I try to rid of monsters like you.” I sneered. Rob cheered from a corner and I could see William, along with the other slayers looking at me in bewilderment. They backed away.
“You dare defy me? I shall show you the true strength of Fangs!” he said and he moved back. “My brothers!” I looked around noticing all the vampires are guys. Such Feminists! “Get her.”
At first they laughed, as if fighting a girl was such a ridiculous thing to do. So they sent a weakling to go after me. He bared his fangs at me and I sliced my rapier in the air. He ran towards me, ready to bite me and I plunged the rapier into his heart. He turned into dust almost immediately. Then all of them were outraged and all started to ran at me at once, trying to rip me apart.
In less than a minute I was covered in mixed blood of vampires and mine, surrounded by a cloud of dust and some of the vampires who survived flee. There was a roar and I saw Dae, enraged and murderous charging towards me. He slashed at my face, missing me by an inch but slicing a part of the cloak that covered my face. It fell and my face was exposed to everyone in the room.

“See! I told you its Eliza!” Rob shouted triumphantly.


“You can’t be…” Dae said, speechless.
“What’s going on here?” The leader of the Slayer asked.
I smiled at Dae, letting him see my fangs.
“A vampire! You are a traitor!” he said, more enraged than ever and running towards me. I was about to try and fight him only I didn’t get there first.

William stepped in and droved the stake through Dae’s heart. Dae moaned and fell on the ground. William pushed the stake deeper and then Dae bursted into a cloud of dust leaving a crest, the same as the pendant necklace I got from the first vampire I’ve slain from the group.

“Holy Christ,” A guy said, breaking into the silence. “Did I just see what I saw?”
“Yeah, and that’s the first time I’ve seen a vampire in a right state of mind and killing her own kind.”

My hair prickled with anger as I heard them call me one of them. I picked up the rapier and went on back outside.
“Wait! Eliza!” William shouted but I went on and disappeared through the tombstones, taking a shortcut and hiding from them. I turned back into a human and watched as they looked around searching for me.

They spoke to William, still bewildered and he shrugged and turned away. He looked around one last time before they left. I took off my cloak and wrapped it around the rapier.

Sometimes, it’s better that you live in secret from other people so that the people you love cant be hurt.

Wait, what am I saying? I can’t possibly love William! I just met the guy and he’s a slayer. A very big threat. I sank beside a tombstone and groaned. Somehow, I never expected him to be a part of my life.





“For thy live in blood and side with fear”

- Fanged Clan


No comments: